NordicTrack Elliptical Machine Reviews
The ICON Health and Fitness Company owns Nordic Track, Proform, Reebok and Weslo so they are clearly invested in the fitness industry. But of their many lines of home gyms that ICON represents, the Nordic Track elliptical trainer stands out for high quality construction and customer satisfaction. Recently the design, warranty and feel for the Nordic Track elliptical trainer has been enhanced in some significant ways including…
- The Quick Ramp system has been enhanced to offer more variety of incline and slope, which allows customers to focus on specific muscle groups during their workouts. Not only is this better for cross training, it helps users avoid overtraining. It should be noted that this enhancement is generally only available in the higher end commercial models of the Nordic Track elliptical trainer.
- The stride lengths on most models have been improved which makes workouts on Nordic Track elliptical trainers more effective. Models coming out recently come standard with an 18″-20″ length of the stride, which is 2-3 inches longer than previous models. The longest strike on the market comes with the Nordic Track elliptical trainer A.C.T. This improvement makes working out more comfortable and it allows taller users to get a great, fast-paced workout as well.
- Nordic Track elliptical trainers are now easier to fold down for storage. Many home gyms fold up like this but it is not a feature that is common in elliptical trainers. But the ability to tuck your Nordic Track elliptical trainer away is a selling point for people with small living spaces like a condo or apartment. This is a great way to save space, and of course whether you want to use the floor or just stretch out and have the leg room to actually relax while you play a bit of after work, then this is perfect.
- The addition of speakers that are built right in to new models of Nordic Track elliptical trainers is a great step forward. You can connect your iPod or your MP3 player to the speakers in a flash and enjoy your favorite music or audio book as you work out. This is destined to be one of the most popular innovations that Nordic Track has introduced.
- There is a new feature that allow you to use iFit workouts by putting them directly into a card reader on your Nordic Track elliptical trainer and use that workout program while on your home gym. It is like having a personal trainer with you for the entire workout. The card will also direct your Nordic Track elliptical trainer to adjust the speed, resistance and incline to stay on track with the programmed workout.
In many ways, Nordic Track elliptical trainers have been improved to give you more variety in your workouts and to make their products easier to use for a wider variety of people.
Summary of Nordic Track Elliptical Trainer Review
Because the company has such a huge variety of styles and prices to their home gyms, you can find a Nordic Track elliptical trainer that will fit your exercise goals and where you are in your program. Generally speaking Nordic Track elliptical trainers are quite affordable compared to their competition even within the ICON family of products. Because of that, this will be one of the best ellipticals for 2010.
Nordic Track stands behind their products with strong warranties and their customer service ratings are consistently high. That means we can look for Nordic Track elliptical trainers to continue to hold a significant part of the home gym market for a long time to come.
Types of Nordictrack Ellipticals
Elliptical trainers get categorized in many ways. The most common way to categorize ellipticals is by the drive location, or where the flywheel for resistance is placed. This isn’t as exciting as other features we could discuss, but the drive location is important for various reasons. Drive location shapes the machine’s size, which matters to many shoppers.
- Rear drive ellipticals require the most space (unless they can be folded for storage).
- Front drive ellipticals need less space.
- Center drive ellipticals are generally the smallest.
But here’s a surprise: Contrary to what you might logically guess, sometimes with NordicTrack you can get a greater range of motion from a smaller machine…
To help you make sense of it all, here are summaries of NordicTrack ellipticals categorized by drive.
Front Drive Series:
Front drive NordicTrack ellipticals for 2017 are adjustable to support 18” to 20” strides. This is a selling point in two ways, as it 1) ensures that just about everyone gets a natural-feeling stride length and 2) lets people of different heights all choose from various elliptical paths to trigger different muscle fibers. Target-tone your muscles!
Maximum resistance ranges from 20 to 32 pounds, so these residential trainers have the force of commercial ellipticals.
Front drive NordicTrack ellipticals are not SpaceSavers. That is, they aren’t foldable. The smallest model is the C 7.5, which is about 70 inches long. The top-of-the-line Commercial 14.9 is about 80 inches long.
NordicTrack ellipticals for 2017 are compatible with iFit Coach for unlimited workout downloads and personalized fitness advice. The Commercial 14.9 (on sale for less than $1500!) makes the most of iFit with a 10” high-definition display.
Rear Drive Series:
Rear drive NordicTrack ellipticals for 2017 are called SpaceSavers. They’re 80 inches long but can be folded to take up very little floor space. Although these machines have large frames, they support relatively short 18” strides.
Some people are biased in favor of rear drive ellipticals. They do have some inherent advantages, although advances in the fitness industry have helped other types of machines compete effectively. NordicTrack’s rear drive ellipticals are especially good matches for beginners because they make it easy to keep good posture as you train, whereas the front drive machines require a bit more balance for good form.
NordicTrack ellipticals with rear drives (the SE9i and SE7i) are most comfortable for people with shorter strides and less body weight. (The taller and heavier you are, the choppier the ride will feel… and the whole point of elliptical training is smooth low-impact motion.) The flywheel is effectively 18 pounds.
These machines are feature-rich, like all NordicTracks for 2017. The SE9i is a big step up over the SE7i. It has a 7” workout display that’s high-definition and web-enabled. It can also stream iFit Coach programming.
The basic center drive NordicTrack series is called “Mid-Mech.” These trainers have very compact footprints, but they support 18” to 22” strides. They have names like ACT Commercial to ACT Commercial 10. The top model has a 10” high definition display with web browser and seamless iFit integration.
Also popular is the FreeStride Series – the FS7i and Fs9i. These unique ellipticals do double-time as low-impact treadmills, as they let you take strides with a max 38” elliptical path. The top FreeStride Trainer (FS9i) has a power incline/decline and is topped with a 10-inch HD touchscreen for workouts and the web. Paired with an iFit membership, it lets you virtually train just about anywhere worldwide and experience the actual ups and downs of terrain within a span of -10 to +10 degrees.
- Resistance Ranges: NordicTrack ellipticals collectively accommodate all skill levels and desired workout intensities.
- Stride Choices: Whatever your height, you’re almost guaranteed to find a perfect match. Some NordicTrack ellipticals are especially comfortable for shorter users… others for taller users… and some have very generous stride choices. FreeStride Trainers let you walk or run with a max 38” stride for low-impact treadmill-style training along with more traditional elliptical workouts.
- Moving Handlebars: All NordicTrack ellipticals for 2017 have moving arm bars to support total-body workouts.
High Definition Displays: Higher model numbers for 2017 have 7” and 10” workout displays that are HD and web-ready with Android browsers.
- Consoles: NordicTrack elliptical consoles for 2017 are impressive at all price points. Even the lowest-priced trainers have preset workout variety, tablet computer ledges, iPod-compatible speakers, workout fans and other amenities to help you comfortable and motivated
- iFit Coach Enabled: All 2017 NordicTracks can be used with iFit (membership required) for unlimited workout downloads, automated data logging, personalized fitness advice and other benefits.
- Warranty Packages: Top NordicTrack ellipticals have above-average warranties. These include lifetime frame protection, five years on parts and electronics, and two years of labor.
- Labor Warranty: In-home labor costs aren’t covered. You might need to ship the machine or pay for in-home servicing if repairs are needed.
NordicTrack knows how to build elliptical machines that keep people motivated. Whether you prefer a front drive, rear drive or center drive machine, with NordicTrack you can likely find a reliable and affordable unit that fits your body and is ready to serve your daily cardio/resistance training needs. We especially recommend this brand to shoppers who will take advantage of technologies such as high-def iFit Coach programming, an Android browser and music speakers.